About Me:

My photo
Welcome! I'm a neo-hippie chick working to balance my love for all things earthy and natural with all things glamourous and spectacular! And all, naturally, on a serious budget! I want to share my adventures with my family back home in Los Angeles and.....all of you!

Friday, September 23, 2011

{Autum Planting in Autumn 2011}

Today is the first day of autumn. I love autumn, and I LOVE being named Autum. And although I loathe, yep, I'll say it..."LOATHE" the typical autumnal palate and crunchy autumn leaves display, I have to say that it's pretty cool having been named after a pretty cool and restful three months. The most magical three months in my humble opinion. It's cool, or cool-ish winds (depending on where you live), sweep away the dusty heat of summer and leave a crisp, serene space for winter to finally settle in. And in this place where summer temperatures rival the surface of the sun's; autumn, and winter are prime time for loads of vegetable crops!

September 9, 2011 was planting day for us at Sevilla Soul Garden. It started out with nearly perfect conditions. We got our start at mid morning; (which is usually quitin' time in the summer!) It was a bit breezy and cool, and hubby and I had a friend along who just happens to be a mad scientist. Well, maybe not totally mad, but I can't think of any better type of scientist, can you?? He does genetic research on plants and is a hoot to have around.
Hubby checking the irrigation at our plot.
I'll give you a quick run-down of the seeds we sowed...
ACORN SQUASH
ZUCCHINI
STRAIGHT NECK YELLOW SQUASH
CALYPSO (YIN YANG)  BEANS
GREEN BEANS
CHIVES
LETTUCE
BEETS (RED & GOLDEN)
BROCCOLI (PURPLE, GREEN & ROMANESCO)
CAULIFLOWER (PURPLE & SNOWBALL)
CUCUMBER (LEMON & ENGLISH)
RADISH
TURNIP
KOHL ROBI
PAK CHOI
LIMA BEANS
(probably tons more that I can't remember right now...)
A sampling of this season's seeds.


Aren't these beans super-cool?? They look like mini "Shamu's"!!

This year, as I mentioned earlier, I wanted to drastically increase the quantity and quality of our harvest. So that starts with lots and lots of seeds, right? And, for the type of produce that I want to, umm, produce; namely, heirloom varieties, you can't just pick up all of your seeds at my favorite store, Lowes. Sure, you can find some, but your best bet is to go online for the really special stuff. There are tons and tons of seed sellers all over that sell heirloom seeds. I purchased many from Ebay this year from 3 different sellers.

I also really love Urban Homestead. This site is run by a family in my hometown (Pasadena, CA) that turned their average size backyard into an incredibly, almost self-sufficient homestead. Although I don't want to live exactly like them, they have been very inspiring and an exceptional resource for all things super-hippy.

Check back soon for an update of the seedlings. It's been 2 weeks since they went in the ground. Little baby plants should be sprouting soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment