About Me:

My photo
Welcome! I'm a neo-hippie chick working to balance my love for all things earthy and natural with all things glamourous and spectacular! And all, naturally, on a serious budget! I want to share my adventures with my family back home in Los Angeles and.....all of you!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

{Agritopia Community Garden} Month #1 Update


Hey, where are all of the seedlings???

Yeah, that's what I said too!!

I guess the weather was still a little too hot to plant when we did and the seeds didn't sprout. I thought it would be ok to plant since the nights had cooled down to high 80's. Huh. Guess I was WRONG!! Or maybe the problems with the well did it. Not enough water. Either way, we've got some RE-planting to do if we want any veggies this season!

What in heaven's name would we have done if we were relying solely on this garden for our food? Well, I'll tell you what, we probably would not have waited a whole month to decide that we needed to take some action and reseed, for starters! Oh well. You live and you learn. I'm headed over to the plot tomorrow to sow once again! Hopefully the second time's the charm....

Since there's nothing major to report in our plot, I'll take this time to show you around the community garden grounds.


Located at the corner of Ray & Higley (yes, the street is called "Higley"!!!)
Agritopia is a housing subdivision that was constructed with a bigger goal of just the usual cramming in as many houses as possible. Origianlly owned by the Johnston Family, it was built with  large portions left for commercial and agricultral uses. Aside from the community garden plots, there is a large field that is cultvated  with all sorts of goodies, some of which sold at the self-serve Farm Stand right out front.
[stand0418.jpg]
As you turn the corner from Higley onto Ray, you'll see an orchard of what I think are some sort of nut trees. (The trees are still young and I haven't yet taken the time to ask anyone what they are.) Lining Ray Rd is Joe's Farm Grill and The Coffe Shop.
Joe's Farm Grill is uniqe in two ways. It sits in the renovated builing that was once the dwelling of the family that owned the land. The owner, Jo Johnston has been called "The Best Thing That Ever Happend To Gilbert"!.... (this distinction was give to him by a foodie friend of mine when she saw the episode of Diners Drive-Ins and Dives that the grill was featured on!) In the episode you will see that Joe's Farm grill sources as much produce as it can from the large field that they maintain. (The restrooms are reeeallly fun too! I have a pic, but I don't want to give it away!! You have to go there for yourself and see it!!) Keep going on Ray and you'll see lots Peach, Apricot, Grapefruit and other trees that are opened for U-Pick each appropiate season.

In the community garden there are 30-some 20x20 plots that are leased by individuals, familys and groups. Most of us are novices to gardening so we all get to learn from each other's successes and shortfalls.




Here are a couple of our garden neighbors with their bikes that they ride over on to the plots. Their real estate looks really great! They've got eggplant, peppers, basil  that survived the entire summer, (We don't have ONE thing that survived. Can you feel the bitterness??) and so kindly shared some with us! Thank goodness for nice people!!

Why I don't have a gnome in my garden already is beyond me!

Everyone can plant whatever they like, however they like, and add their own personal touches as they wish.




We have a sink to do veggie washing, a shed filled with tools that we all may use, a bbq grill and picnic benches.

Conveniently located directly across the street is  The Coffee Shop where we can grab a cold drink after a hot day of hard work. (More like an hour to an hour 1/2 of hard work! Let's be honest here....) The Coffee Shop is a great independent place that we LOVE and has the PRETTIEST Cupcakes ever!!! I'm so obsessed with the sparkles that they use on them. I've searched hi and low for the pixie dust (that's what I call it) and I finally found it!! I'm the happiest girl in America!

We feel so enormously lucky to have our own little patch of dirt to grow food in. If you'd also like your own plot, surrounded by people to help and support you grow your own veggies in Gilbert, email Gayle at 
gayle@johnstonfarms.phxcoxmail.com
and she'll give you all the info!!

And don't forget to visit this blog again to see what's new in the garden. We might even be willing to share with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment